Monday, July 23, 2012

Just a quick glance at other Westerners in Tokyo

Living in the states my whole life and growing up in NY I am use to seeing all kinds of people, races and ethnicities. As a 50 something I really didn't think about how a person could stand out until I moved to Tokyo.
Westerns only number about 1 % here, so a curly haired blonde white lady tends to stand out a bit on the city. Of course, I look like a tourist except I seem to know where I am going now and I have an iPhone. You must have a phone from Japan to have one that works. 
The funny thing is when one westerner sees another and is a  resident there is the tendency to ignore each other. There is the quick sly glance and then the downward look. When I first moved here I would do a quick nod or hello, but not welcomed at all. I have now taken on the same code and decided that I will not do this anymore and just try to make us part of a club.
I don't work outside the home and volunteer in a place where Japanese is spoken, so I can go for quite a while before I have a conversation with another English speaking person. Especially hard when my husband is traveling. I am taking language lessons, but it is slow going. 
I don't really expect people to just talk to me because I am american, but now laugh when I see other westerners and " the glance"

1 comment:

  1. Reminds me of the reported 'coldness' of Seattle! I'd totally be one of those people, but I know it's not you at all. Funny how we tend to close into ourselves. Crazy.

    ReplyDelete