Thursday, August 2, 2012

Do you like the food?

The number one questioned I am asked is if I like Japanese food?
 How do I answer? I don't want to answer in a negative, but I have never liked most Japanese food, so I am not eating it here. There is certainly more options then what we have in the states, but not partial to the flavors and textures of japanese cooking.

Ok, so this is the fake food they put in all the restaurants ad stores, still not looking good to me.
Why you ask, flavors, don't' like sushi, miso, soba noodles, tempura, so what is left-rice, which you can not seem to get plain in restaurants. They don't really do much in simple vegetables either.
Now the sweets. Bakeries here are huge, but not as sweet as you are used to in the states. The chocolate is very bland and you can't find chocolate and peanut butter anywhere, except for US brands. Great bread though, but I tend to stay away from bread anyway.If you really have to eat fried dough you can find KK in many places and they are busy.
Plus side, a ton of foreign food has invaded Japan. I am not a fast food person, but many Italian, American and hamburger joints everywhere. Hard to find breakfast places, but they are starting to pop up also. Good chinese everywhere which makes us happy because we love.
Bottom line, I am cooking simple food at home and my answer to the question about food"We are trying all kinds of different foods here"

No comments:

Post a Comment